Pages

Sep 16, 2011

Circum[N]avigate – Teacup Production 2nd Project

WIP of some promo art.. and yes, the game is 1024 x 768!

Hmm, so now that (P)lanets is done, I’ll move on to my second project. I posted some info on it here before – it’s called Circum[N]avigate (Title may change later) and it is basically a mixture of fantasy, sci-fi and of course, otome!
However, I’m having a lot of problems explaining the plot simply. It has a lot more story than Planets. I’m used to writing simple and cute stories, so writing something very complicated is a different experience. Unlike Planets, this game will have a story that branches over every route – and doesn’t just focus on the individual characters. Similarly to Planets, there are three romance able boys and a science fiction theme. I changed the plot a bit since I first posted it.
Lots more info after the jump!


STORY

This game takes place in a distant future… but the characters live a rural lifestyle due to a technology restriction. Amongst humans are gods and spirits, co-existing and interacting with each other as equals. There are also floating cities, which are kept afloat with the power of air spirits. The question is, why is life like this now? What happened to make the future this way?
Because radio, computer and television are outlawed, people called messengers are appointed to keep contact between the floating cities and the grounded cities via floating staffs called ‘cirna’. Mana is an apprentice messenger, along with her childhood friend, Reimei. But lately, the power of the air spirits has become weak. The floating city over Mana’s town is threatening to fall. Tensions become high between both communities, as they’re both at risk to lose their homes. As a result of this, the once peaceful job of a messenger has become a dangerous one.

And that’s putting it simply, LOL. It’s not so simple though, is it? XD As I said, I’m still trying to figure out a way to summarize it without adding so many details. Hopefully it sounds interesting at least.

CHARACTERS

I posted the characters before, but here they are again (a bit different from last time)

Mana
Age 18
She’s the heroine of the story, and you may or may not be able to change her name – I haven’t decided yet. Mana lives in a small town called Satori. She is an orphan who was taken under the care of an old man she calls Grandpa, although they don’t have a blood relationship. Grandpa is training Mana to be a messenger, so she isn’t required to attend a school. Mana is very interested to know more about her parents and their death, but most things about them are kept secret. She’s mostly soft-spoken and sweet, and has an interest in gardening.

Reimei sketch. He's pretty fly.

Reimei
Age 19
Mana’s friend since they were young children. Similarly, he is an orphan adopted by Grandpa, who he only calls ‘old man’. Although Mana and he are under the same care, he doesn’t view Mana as his sister, since he believes the same blood is required to be a family. Reimei keeps a good presence around adults, but his true side is childlike. Enjoys reading, sleeping, and hearing stories. Despite those lazy hobbies, when it comes to messenger training, he works hard. Keep him (far) far away from alcohol.

Fain
Age 20
He lives in Ciel, the floating land over Satori. Fain enjoys cleaning and drinking a lot of tea. Mana wonders at times if he’s a narcolpetic, since nearly every time she finds him, he’s asleep… or falls asleep suddenly. Fain is pretty spaced out most of the time, though he has a surprisingly large amount of knowledge

Haku
Age Unknown - Middle teens
Strange boy who showed up suddenly. He seems to be a tricky type who can tell lies with an honest face. He can even steal whatever he pleases. Haku can even appear or disappear at will… causing a lot of trouble for Mana. Though his impression isn’t very good, he seems to have a deeper side to him as well, and notices details that would be overlooked by most.

I’ll post some real concept art of them later on.

And that’s all. Phew… I’ve never made a story so detailed before. But I made a character game already… now I have experience, and want to make a game with a great story. It will be hard, but I’m going to do it! (I finished Planets after all, so you can take my word for it :D) 

Speaking of (P)lanets...
Mostly got good reviews so far. Despite the few idiots who posted some REALLY dumb comments, and of course, people who just didn't think the game is for them (which is fine), most players think it's a cute and fun game. ^^ I learned a lot. Making it was definitely worth the effort. Especially when one of my favorite bloggers even reviewed it!

7 comments:

  1. I loved your game and it was not very fluffy in my opinion , the characters had something that made me adore them and the story almost made me blush( just a little bit) , my favourite character was Kaius , I couldn` t help to love his personality and background (which wasn` t a vey sob story ,it looked like Kyo from Fruit baket .but that made me adore him even more ) . Anyway thank you for completing this game , your work deserve many credits and appreciation and I want to say that your game made me really happy ,I had and still have a lot of fun playing it and I reccomended to my best friend that went crazy for it and i can really say that she likes it . I wish you luck on youre second project , I really think it will much more complex and I can ` t wait forit release!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just say that i LOOOVED (p)lanets!
    Its a cute,fun and also very interesting otome game!I had a lot of fun playing it,and anyone that says otherwise is judging it WAY too strictly,especially since its a FREE game.Ive seen a lot of commercial games that were just horrible -_-; and your free game puts those to shame xD!
    I can see that you put in alot of effort into (p)lanets and absoloutly cant wait for your second project which would hopefully be EVEN BETTER than (p)lanets! Good Luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I really love the story here! (P)lanets was great, and if you're gonna make more delicious sci-fi stuff, I feel you may become my favourite VN producer. if you ever need any help, maybe an editor/proofreader or something, please tell me! I'd love to help you with this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Andrea Iuliana
    Thank you so much!! I'm glad you and your friend liked it! :D
    @OtomeFever :x
    Ahaha yeah people forget that it's a free game. If they didn't have to pay money to play it, there's no reason to be so harsh. I'm glad to see more people who loved it, though! Thank you! ^o^ <3
    @Sifris
    It'll be a while until the script is done, but if you're still interested in being a editor then, I'll keep you in mind ^^ Thanks so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore (p)lanets!!!! Kaius was my favorite character cuz I'm mostly into the mysterious and dark type. Ryuu was second favorite and Lucan was the least but your stories for Ryuu and Kaius were both so cute and touching that I HAD to get Lucan's ending. Can't wait for your second game and good job!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found out about (P)lanets from LSF and downloaded it yesterday... Then I stayed up until 2am playing and was late for work XDD In my opinion, the story was all-around sweet and touching; not cheesy, overdramatic, or ridiculous at all. Lucan's story line was totally shocking, and I'm torn between Kaius and Ryuu as my favorite (leaning towards Ryuu if only for his boyish charms and straightforward attitude^.^). You did a fantastic job, especially considering most of the work was done by you flying solo. AND the game was FREE! Holy smokes!

    Anyway, great work and can't wait to play your next releases!!!

    ReplyDelete